5 important people gave their thoughts about our current healthcare system in this Becker’s Hospital Review article:
– Jonathan Bush, founder and CEO of athenahealth (Watertown, Mass.)
– Malcolm Gladwell, journalist and best-selling author
– Chuck Lauer, former publisher of Modern Healthcare, and author, public speaker and career coach
– Nancy Schlichting, CEO of Henry Ford Health System (Detroit)
– John Halamka, MD, CIO of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston)
My favorite thoughts in a nutshell:
– On healthcare’s sustainability: new infrastructure is essential. Obsolete systems are a burden and a brake when it comes to innovation and efficiency.
– On changing the practice of medicine: doctors will have to consider the patient as a whole and spend time taking care of all the aspects of his/her health.
– On high-price medicine: prices should be linked with the innovation the product brings to the patient and the other stakeholders including the health system.
– On sharing healthcare data: data sharing with the goal of improving the life of each patient by learning and analytics could be a game-changer in the next future.
All these quotes could inspire leadership styles and help us create, implement and deliver better care for the patients in need.